What’s in Your Gastrokid’s Breakfast?

The other morning, we were having breakfast and Dylan, his bowl loaded up with some coconut and dried fruit granola mixed with organic Cheerios and a few of those new Weetabix Minibix (yep the ones with chocolate), put on his best four-year-old pouting face and, lip curled up, announced…..

"My friend in nursery has Cocoa Pops for breakfast. Why can’t I have Cocoa Pops as well?"

Cue ridiculous attempt to explain the concept of sugar rotting your teeth and not forming the best energy platform for a health breakfast – though not quite as tortured as I did it there.

Dylan nowadays just wants cold cereal though will make an exception for smoked salmon and cream cheese bagels as well as a good cheesy egg omelette. Zelda, the little one, will eat anything and everything put in front of her at this point.

To be honest I can’t remember what I ate for breakfast as a little kid
though I do remember eating toast and marmalade and a cup of tea from
about 8 years old onwards. No healthy grains and no fruit and survived.

So what I’m asking is: Do we obsess too much in trying to keep sugary cereal off the breakfast table? And what do other Gastrokids eat for breakfast?

It would be great to compile a little global guide to kiddie breakfast comparing and compiling Japanese brekkie with American favorites and some African and European treats thrown in as well.

After all, we can’t all eat Cocoa Pops,can we?

- Matthew

This entry was posted in Breakfast. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to What’s in Your Gastrokid’s Breakfast?

1. Linda says:

Here in Australia, my three year old more often than not will have his favourite breakfast of two organic Weet-Bix (well, a supermarket brand version), a sliced (usually organic) banana and organic whole milk. I don’t think he’d mind if that’s all he ever had, but sometimes he’ll request porridge (with a few sultanas, a little honey and maybe some banana) or toast (multigrain with some Vegemite or homemade jam).
    As much as I would love to eat Coco Pops every day, we never have that or any other sugary cereal in the house. He doesn’t even know they exist. I’m not sure I’d like that to change either!

2. Sucar says:

We don’t have sugary cereal but we do have a lot of granola bars/nutrigrain bars (the portable version of sugary cereal). My 4 year old son refuses to eat the processed stuff they serve at school so i have to pack him full in the car ride on the way there. (He also refuses to get up in time for me to cook him anything). Occasionally I can get some nuts/raisins/dry cereal mixture in him if i put chocolate chips in there. On the weekends, he wants pancakes but usually gets eggs with cheese and some yogurt.

3. Ginger says:

Every single morning my two year old wants a “panpake” (whole wheat frozen version) with peanut butter on it. Can usually convince him to also eat half a banana, as long as we load it up with peanut butter too.

4. Chelsea says:

Well here on the westcoast of Canada basically anything I can get them to eat will do.
    My 3 year old loves oatmeal with blueberries and polka dots (those coloured little sugar dots for decorating cakes, she only has a few so really what can it hurt?) She also loves loves loves her wholegrain flax organic flourless toast with butter, no jam or anything else to mess it up.
    My 8 month old is just discovering breakfast but his favourite seems to be mushed bannanas and blueberries (organic of course). Loves it!

5. Kiim says:

We generally stick with the healthier high-fiber, low-sugar cereals, but we have a tradition that my boys can pick ANY cereal they want for their birthdays. The whole family can partake in their sugary sweet pick for as long as the supply lasts, usually 3-4 days.
    In the US, we have a new chain called Cereality. They serve up a variety of cold and hot cereals all day long. (You can read a review on my blog.)

6. malika says:

We have two breakfasts. First breakfast is something snack-y as soon as we get up, around 6:30, while I have my first cup of tea – this morning it was dry cheerios (Trader Joe’s brand) for my one-year-old and a corn muffin for me. Second breakfast is around 8:30, right before first nap. Today, second breakfast was an egg, a mashed potato patty, and some asparagus. (I try to have something green for 2nd breakfast.)
    Growing up, our tradition was that we could have sugar cereal for overnight roadtrips, and we could choose. I vividly remember how much I LOVED Fruity Pops, and I think I only had them once!

7. I solved the problem of sugary crap breakfasts (more or less)by simply not buying the stuff in the first place. If anyone announces, “But I want Lucky Charms,” I simply shrug and say, “Sorry. We don’t have any of that.”
    What we do have: My six-year-old eats Weetabix (sp?) with frozen blueberries on top. My 10-year-old eats her daily bowl of Toasted Oat Flakes from Trader Joe’s, plus honey tea.
    Grandma, on the other hand, is only too happy to subvert me by plying them with all manner of sugary cereals when they’re up to visit her. I suppose that’s her job as Grandma, though.
    Funny you should mention the Japanese breakfast because I’m making a second attempt. I think the girl might go for it…stay tuned.

8. Brandon says:

I grew up on Frosted Flakes and Raisin Bran with more sugar lavished on top from the sugar bowl. It’s hard to believe, considering how demonized sugar is now, isn’t it? I thought everybody else was eating eggs, bacon, and toast every morning and that my mom was just very lazy. I later found out that I refused to eat eggs or toast, unless it was cinnamon sugar toast, so my mother never made that all-American breakfast because she’d just have to throw most of it away.
    My children alternate between Life, Kix, and the new Fruity Cheerios (it’s a slippery slope!), or scrambled eggs, if they’re from a farm (they can tell the difference and if I try to slip them the ordinary, store-bought variety I end up throwing those away). That is, just eggs, no toast, and we never have bacon because when we do, it all gets eaten up immediately. In the winter , it’s all oatmeal, all the time, although my oldest discovered the brown sugar and maple kind and I don’t think she’s going to forget about it over the summer. And we don’t want that to happen, do we, because you know that cereal is just a gateway to hard candy, and everybody knows candy leads to smoking crack. Right?

9. Karen says:

My 5 year old son lived on soft-boiled eggs topped off and served in his little bunny egg cup until about 3 months ago. Now he’s on a cinnamon toast bender – I spread some really good butter (like Plugra) on his toast and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. My daughter, on the other hand, isn’t usually hungry for breakfast at all. I force bananas and oatmeal on her.
    I made the fatal error of purchasing Fruity Cheerios a few weeks ago. It was like they’d discovered manna from heaven. Now what??

10. Kiernan says:

My 17-month-old daughter is keen on Product 19, “waffoos” (the mini-frozen kind from TJ’s), and eggs (hold the yolk). We occasionally give her some toast with raspberry jam, to boot.
    I was raised on Fruity Pebbles and Frosted Flakes. My cousins were denied sugar cereals at their home, and I always thought that was weird. (Of course, I’m the one with all the ugly grey fillings in my teeth.) My parents were simply not good chefs–how about pork chops sauteed in ketchup and water?–but they worked a lot, so I don’t hold it against them.

11. Organikal says:

Grains? What grains? We don’t do sugar, but our 8 yr old insists on potato pancakes (the Scottish kind) with butter & cheddar cheese. We make him eat an apple also. Sometimes a carrot. Potato pancakes are occasionally allowed to metamorphose into English muffins or sometimes even crumpets. Summer is good, because unsweetened soya milk and blueberry thick shakes provide a delicious respite.

12. Katarina says:

The current routine with Cinjin seems to be: half a piece of graham cracker while the dogs get their morning walk. Yogurt mixed with uncooked oats and cinnamon if homeboy isn’t feeling the need to express his independence through dexterity (since he can throw a fork admirably but is still mastering the fine art using it as a vehicle for food delivery). If he wants to feed himself (this is so bad), I’ll scramble two eggs with some goat cheese and pesto, eat half of it before his plate hits the table, and let him wear whatever he can’t finish. If I’m feeling virtuous, he’ll also be at liberty with half a grapefruit or an orange.

13. Audra says:

Here in Washington state, I have one breakfast eater and one that I beg to eat a few bites. The breakfast eater who is also adhd, has a huge protein start because we don’t medicate we find it gives her a good start. A smoothie (almond milk, frozen berries, learning factors protein powder, and fish oils) and a cheesy, turky ham omelet. The little one has egg whites with cheese and sliced fruit or frozen organic waffle with peanut butter, with me batting clean up!
    On the weekends they get (non sugary) cereal, yogurt and granola, homemade pancakes.

14. Sharon says:

My son (9) generally eats cold cereal – a “home made” mix of a bunch of low/no sugar cereals from Trader Joes or health food stores. Occasionaly he’ll go on a kick of hot cereals – 10 grain mix, cream of wheat etc. On weekends we sometimes make pancakes or eggs. Occasionally he eats some whole wheat frozen waffles. We don’t buy sugary cereals (although I like many others grew up eating them as a child) so thats not a problem.