Mmmm……just when you thought it was safe to introduce your children to the joys of sushi along comes a NYT report into the exceedingly high levels of mercury found in Manhattan tuna sushi/sashimi.
Writes the NYT:
Recent laboratory tests found so much mercury in tuna sushi from 20
Manhattan stores and restaurants that at most of them, a regular diet of six pieces a week would exceed the levels considered acceptable by the Environmental Protection Agency.
This issue is so serious to NYT readers that it warranted an editorial "maki" on the topic.
Though some mercury in the atmosphere occurs naturally, roughly
two-thirds is produced by industrial sources — especially coal-burning
power plants. It settles into the water in a form called methylmercury,
is absorbed by bacteria and then makes its way up to the very top of
the food chain — to humans.
What’s the real risk to our kids? Well my own two much prefer a good California roll to be honest and even little true Tekka lovers probably aren’t getting through the red-zone six pieces a week.
But, as the NYT editorial puts it: "It is a reminder of how interconnected all
life on earth really is. The mercury that worries us in the tuna we eat
is the very residue of the way we live. The only way to reduce the one
is to improve the other."